Thursday, January 22, 2015

Section 13- Eye of God


It's crazy to believe the work is over. I've done 29 panels. The goal was to paint over 25 panels in 3 months. I realized I had to have a strong work ethic to get this ridiculous amount of work accomplished. I would do two to three panels a week at the studio. Some were duds. Those were the detours of the journey, where I would question "is this project going right?" But the next day a new successful painting was on its way. I sketched like a madman, seven to twelve hours a week. Thousands of computer paper and glue used up. I'm glad that I finished up the project. I have enough pieces to cover the solo room at Warehouse 1005. The show is February third Friday to March first Friday. I believe this series is epic weirdness, motivated by religion with a tad of whimsy. Like the Apothoesis show a couple months back it's a simple religious concept. But I hope to help people resonate what is the eye of god and it's historical implications. I will of course provide nicer photos for the finished paintings on the blog and pictures of the exhibition. Can't wait!




Angels are the centerpiece in this work. In the middle are angels with two wings pinned to them. The angels look like bulls or some animal. I hadn't yet attempted that type of wings yet in this series. Grass is in the center of the work. I've done enough clouds and skies. A group of man angels circle the piece. They create a swirling movement. Trees also circle the piece and become a decorative element in the work















I did the Egyptian figures with the striped black and peroxide hair color again. I've had fun doing the crazy hair style. It adds a playful and wacky feeling to the works. I had to repeat the crown shaped hair style. Except this time I wanted the crown haired people are angels. I put the striped hair style on them which made them look like bees. I thought it was a little tacky but liked the added tomfoolery. The two main figures are twins. This is a hidden motif in my work the idea of a doppelganger or a body double of you. When we think of side shows we think of conjoined wins.
I think of fun house mirrors where can see several versions of yourself. None of us are straightforward, our complexities make us have several personalities to a degree. Twins create a lampoon effect fun but twisted at the same time.



No comments:

Post a Comment